Stopping cigarette smoke from environments, clothing, body and mouth is simple, but each part needs a different method. A simple way is to mix the baking soda with water and put in a spray bottle, then apply on the clothes and leave to rest for two hours.
Cigarettes are bad for the health of those who smoke and those around! It also leaves a strong and unpleasant cigarette smell that often seems impossible to eliminate. But, do not worry, although it is an odor that gets impregnated and a little complicated to remove, there is a solution!
There are a few tricks that can help combat the bad smell of cigarette smoke that takes over your home, car and even clothes!
Check out the tips to remove and disguise the smell of cigarettes, and get rid of this hassle now!
Cigarette Smell at Home
Keep doors and windows open.
If open doors and windows do not pose a risk to the safety of your home, leave them open if someone is smoking. Let in fresh air so you can run around the house and eliminate cigarette odor.
There are air purifiers on the market that filter out harmful substances and improve overall air quality.
There are specific candles that can help to remove the bad cigarette smell that gets impregnated in the environment. But, it is important to make sure that the candles are natural, not painted with toxic pigments or decorated with metallic elements.
Wash the items in your home that are smelling like cigarettes.
If it is possible to wash the curtains, towels, carpet, sofa and all that is needed, this will help to eliminate the smell of cigarettes!
Floors and Doors
To scent floors and doors, use site-specific cleaners such as wood or porcelain. Scrub the floor thoroughly, making sure to change the water when necessary.
Sofas and armchairs
On sofas and fabric armchairs, soak with white apple cider vinegar, a white cotton cloth, and iron the upholstery, let it dry naturally.
To clean the curtain use a vacuum cleaner or a steam cleaner, the cleaner should be diluted with water. Dry cleaning may be a good idea , but you need to remove the curtain and wash it with hot water. Put some vinegar in the wash water. Use an entire cup of vinegar per wash. Remember that vinegar is a natural bleach, and can fade the color of curtains and blinds. It is a good time also to wash curtains to remove nicotine stains.
To remove the smell of the blinds spread baking soda powder and leave for one night. Aspire the next day;
Use a powerful vacuum cleaner on the mat combined with a wet cloth with cleaning agent that should be diluted with water.
Ceiling and wall
Use cleaning products that contain ammonia and glycol to clean the walls and ceiling of the room. They are very good ingredients to counteract the smell of cigarettes. But, be aware that these are chemicals and so you should stay away from pets and young children. When using them, do not forget the mask and gloves.
The paint may not support the product, so we advise you to test it on a small area of the wall first.
Another option for smelling tobacco off the walls is to clean them with vinegar. Make a solution with vinegar and water, half and half. Wipe the solution with a cloth and then wipe it with another clean cloth.
Wipe with a mixture of water and white apple cider vinegar in equal parts and allow to dry. The environment should be well ventilated afterwards.
If you continue to smell smoke after cleaning the items, you may need to hire a qualified professional to perform a deep cleaning. Paying someone to get this problem over with can be a good investment!
PS: If you have rented items or live somewhere, be sure to contact the owner first, making sure it is in accordance with the service you want to hire.
The most common tip to stop cigarette smell is to use vinegar and there are several effective methods with it because this ingredient absorbs the smell of the environment.
- Use a soft sponge and wet it with white vinegar, then place it in a container and leave it in a place that smells strongly. Let it act for a few hours and you will notice the result. If necessary, wash the sponge every 3 days and soak again in vinegar.
- Pour vinegar into small jars and distribute to bad-smelling environments in the house.
Apple or peel of citrus fruits
Take advantage of the peel of citrus fruits and scatter them in different places of the room, then throw them in the trash, this will help to reduce the odor of smoke.
If the place with the strong smell, place a flat apple with a fork in one corner, which will solve the problem and still leave the fruit scent.
One more option is to use baking soda, place it on upholstery and cigarette-smelling fabrics. Let it act for a few hours and then remove it with a vacuum cleaner.
Perfume in the lamp
Take a cold lamp and drip drops from one of your best perfumes, carefully and without exaggerating. When you light it, the aroma will heat up and spread throughout the room, disguising the smell of cigarettes.
Distribute pots around the house with a small amount of charcoal in them, as it is a great room deodorizer. But always be careful to keep pots out of the reach of children.
Mix some pine essence with very hot water. Then put the liquid in a deep, wide container, leave it indoors to let the steam spread and eliminate the bad cigarette smell.
Cigarette Smell on Car
If you always smoke in your car or let people smoke, we recommend that you constantly use an odor neutralizer inside the car.
If you are not a smoker but have people who smoke sometimes in your car, cut two apples in half and place two halves in the front seats and two in the rear seat. Leave it for a whole night in the car. With the windows closed, the apples will absorb the odor and still leave a pleasant smell.
Put a jar of vinegar and a towel in the car and leave the car windows closed. Leave the pot with the towel for one night in the car and in the morning your vehicle will be free of cigarette smell.
Or leave a vinegar bowl with a cloth inside overnight and keep the vehicle’s windows closed. In a few hours the towel will have accumulated the tobacco particles.
You can also mix it with 200ml of white wine vinegar and 200ml of 70% alcohol to spray on clothes. After making this mixture and putting it into a spray bottle, shake it well, splash it all over and let it sit in the laundry overnight.
Cigarette Smell on Clothes
Using the washing machine
- Fill the machine with water and set the highest temperature recommended on the labels of your clothes.
- Mix a cup of white vinegar in the water as the acidity will help break down the smoke and tar molecules that cause the stench. If you want to give the mix more power, add a cup of baking soda.
- You can also add vinegar and baking soda to the wash water (scheduled to soak first if your machine has it).
- Be sure to put detergent and fabric softener, as they will scent the laundry.
- Check the smell of clothes after the cycle is over, if they are still smelling, do the process again.
- After washing, it is also important that you let your clothes dry outdoors and in the sun, as the sun and wind together will also be able to remove unwanted cigarette odors. What’s more, the sun prevents the clothes from smelling damp clothes, which causes some discomfort when we wear them.
- Make sure there is no smell of smoke on your machine. It may need to be cleaned, especially if it is a newer and more efficient model. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions or repeat the above steps without placing the garments.
Removing Cigarette Smell With a Plastic Bag
- Place the smelling clothes in a large zip-up plastic bag. Or use any large plastic bag that you can tie or close with a string.
- Place softening wipes in the bag. Use one for each or two items of clothing.
- Some wipes, especially those that smell, can stain clothes if they spend too much time in contact. Try to use a bag that is large enough so that the clothes and washcloths do not touch.
- Close the bag, wait and replace the wipes if necessary. Check daily for persistent smell and change wipes from time to time. The longer you wait, the more neutralized the odor will be.
- You can put baking soda in the bag instead of the washcloths, or mix both. The measure is one tablespoon for each or two pieces of clothing.
- Mecha the bag to distribute the mixture well
- Throw excess baking soda out of the bag (and preferably home) every few days and put more in place.
- Then remove clothes from bag and rock to remove excess baking soda
- Wash clothes normally and you’re done!
Baking soda is very useful in eliminating odors, as we mentioned earlier, so if you don’t have time to do the washing machine method, mix the ingredient with water and put it in a spray bottle, then apply it on your clothes and let it sit for a while. two hours. The effectiveness of baking soda is excellent and will help you eliminate cigarette odor from clothing.
Another tip that is also very effective is to mix 1 cup of water, 1 cup of apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of fabric softener, put in a spray bottle and apply to clothes. The combination of these ingredients will act to neutralize the smell of cigarettes, as well as other strong odors.
Boil two liters of water with a cup of apple cider vinegar and let the laundry receive the steam released by boiling the mixture. Vinegar will neutralize cigarette odor as well as other possible odors. Generally this technique is widely used in overcoats, jackets and heavy coats.
Our last tip is to moisten a towel in water with fabric softener, put it on top of the clothes and iron the hot iron. The heat will cause the water to evaporate and carry the smell of tar and nicotine impregnated with the clothes. Then wash the towel as it will absorb all the cigarette smell that was on the clothes.
By following these tips, it will be possible to leave your home fresh, well flavored and without a trace of cigarette smell. This way you and your visitors will appreciate the time spent indoors even more.